Emergency/Unforeseen School Closures
Emergency & Unforeseen Circumstances – Academy Closure
The academy will strive to remain open in all but the most challenging of circumstances because we recognise the disruption that our closure causes to our community. In very rare circumstances the academy may be forced to close due to very severe weather, usually heavy snow, the loss of heating and hot water or other serious incident. Please be assured that a decision to close is always driven by a concern for the safety of our students and staff.
The academy has an emergency response team that will automatically clear our external walkways, car parks and roadways in the event of snow, so that we can safely remain open in all but the most challenging of circumstances.
In the event of heavy snow, or other serious incident beyond our control that results in the academy closing, the following will happen:
- In the event of heavy overnight snow, the Principal will determine if the academy is safe to open at or before 7:30am. By 8:00am announcements will have been placed on our social media, local radio stations, the academy website and on the Suffolk County Council website. Please DO NOT phone reception to confirm, it is unlikely that we will be able to take or return your call. If you are in any doubt, please review any of the sources above that will be constantly updated.
- To avoid confusion, in the event of inclement weather that is not serious enough to warrant any undue concern for our pupils’ safety, an ‘Open as Usual’ statement will be shared on our social media and on our website. Again, please DO NOT call reception to confirm, it is unlikely that we will be able to take or return your call. If you are in any doubt, please review any of the sources above that will be constantly updated.
- If bad weather during the day means that the academy has to close early, students will be notified and told to contact their parents. (Phones will be made available). The academy will remain open for those students who initially might be unable to go home; these students will continue to be appropriately supervised. Early closures are extremely rare but we occasionally cancel detentions and other after-school activities to enable our staff and students to travel home safely. Again, announcements to this effect will be made on our social media, the academy website and wherever possible by direct/personal text message.
- The academy will also use the ‘Call Parents’ text message system to notify parents of either full or partial closure
- Beach FM (103.4 & 97.4FM, Online & Digital)
- BBC Radio Suffolk (95.5FM & local DAB digital radio)
- Heart (102.4FM & local DAB digital radio)